KIMO’s agenda is municipality-focussed
- Our members are municipalities
- Our agenda is driven by our member municipalities. We work on the environmental issues that are important to our members
- We lobby on behalf of our members to bring about policy changes beneficial to municipalities
- Through our work program we assist our members to implement concrete actions that align to EU legislation and policy (including MSFD, Plastics Strategy, Circular Economy), to national legislation and to the UN Sustainable Development Goals
- We produce guidelines for member municipalities on environmental best practice.
- Our projects and lobbying help our member municipalities to reduce costs- we have helped shift responsibility for the costs of environmental clean-up actions from municipalities to projects and national governments
KIMO gives its member municipalities influence at international level
- KIMO is an official Observer at OSPAR and HELCOM Regional Seas Conventions, contributing actively to their work and shaping policy development in Arctic waters, the North Sea, North East Atlantic and Baltic Sea regions.
- We represent the interests of our municipalities at EU level through lobbying international conventions and industry and participation in stakeholder consultations on EU legislation.
- We work closely with the North Sea Commission’s Marine Resources Group to coordinate strategies on marine pollution between local and regional levels.
- Through our network of contacts we are able to lobby the International Maritime Organisation
- We collaborate closely with other organisations to access funding to progress joint projects and initiatives and share best practice
- International work is coordinated and actioned through KIMO’s International Secretariat
KIMO gives its member municipalities influence at national level
- Through our national networks we influence government policy at national level
- We lobby national ministers, politicians, parliamentarians directly
- We help shape national marine policy by participating in stakeholder consultations on national legislation
- National work is actioned through National Coordinators